This time of year, the media starts bombarding us with messages to “better” ourselves for the New Year: Lose the weight! Get a new job! Join the gym! (You know the drill). Truth be told, the majority of the time these types of resolutions make you feel even worse about yourself – and let’s be honest: this past year has been a doozy.
It’s time to bring a little joy back into your New Year’s resolutions – STAT! That’s why this week on the Vibrant Health blog we’re sharing 20 fresh New Year’s resolution ideas for 2021 (that actually feel good).
20 Feel-Good New Year’s Resolutions for 2021
- Pour your cup first
- Give back
- Develop a gratitude practice
- Meditate daily
- Go green
- Shop small
- Move your body
- Focus on your health (not your size)
- Be more present
- Spend more time in the kitchen
- Be kinder to yourself
- Invest in yourself or your business
- Try something new
- Prioritize your sleep
- Pay it forward
- Focus on how you want to feel
- Spend more time in nature
- Take control of your finances
- Assess your relationships
- Clear the clutter
- Pour Your Cup First: You may have heard the saying “You can’t pour from an empty cup,” and we couldn’t agree more. Before taking care of everyone (and everything) on your to-do list, be sure to take care of yourself first. Here are some simple ways to practice self-care throughout the year!
- Give back: ‘Tis the season to give back. This year, think of ways you can give back to others — be it donating to a meaningful cause or volunteering at a local shelter. Let’s be real: giving back to others feels really darn good too.
- Develop a gratitude practice: While you may be experiencing winter blues or anxieties over the pandemic, now more than ever it’s important to honor what you’re grateful for. Consider starting to a gratitude journal, contributing to a gratitude jar or simply sharing what you are grateful for with your family around the dinner table. Here are some additional ways you can practice gratitude this season (even in the midst of a pandemic).
- Meditate daily: It’s time to quiet your mind and go inward! Carve out some time for yourself every day — even if it’s just a few minutes — to sit in silence. Headspace is a great meditation app to get started!
- Go green:Make 2021 the year you go greenerand think about how you can be kinder to the environment. Here are 5 eco-friendly swaps you can make at home this year to be kinder to the earth!
- Shop small: With so many small businesses suffering, do what you can to shop small and support local businesses. It can be as simple as ordering takeout from a local mom & pop restaurant or purchasing from an independent bookstore. These simple acts can mean the world to a business owner!
- Move your body: Forget the fancy gym membership, and this year shift your focus to moving your body in a way that feels good to you (not your BFF or colleague). Hate yoga but love to dance? Trade in your downward dogs for a virtual zumba class!
- Focus on your health (not your size):Ignore all the messages about the “Covid 15.” No one should be telling you how your body should look, so don’t listen! This year, instead of focusing on weight loss or your pant size, focus on your health. What are some things you can add in to improve your overall wellbeing? Perhaps it’s drinking more water, walking outside or incorporating superfoods like Green Vibrance – wonderful for boosting energy and immune health!
- Be more present: With all the Zoom meetings and everything going digital, it can be difficult to unplug. Make a commitment to yourself to be more present — whether that’s turning off your phone at the dinner table or going on a digital detox.
- Spend more time in the kitchen: Considering all the time you’ll be spending at home, it’s about time to give your kitchen some love. Throw on an apron and get cooking! It’ll feel good to make something from scratch to nourish your body. Browse our recipes for inspiration!
- Be kinder to yourself: We’re often told to be kind to others, but just as importantly let’s not forget to be kind to ourselves. Here are some simple ways you can practice self-love this year!
- Invest in yourself or your business: You invest in new clothes and food to put on the table, but what about investing inyourself? Don’t be afraid to spend money on something that’s going to up-level your life (our your business) like the digital yoga membership or business mastermind you’ve been eyeing.
- Try something new: Have you always wanted to try your hand at gardening or perhaps you’ve been itching to start a blog for years? Now is the time to take the plunge and try something new!
- Prioritize your sleep: Are you getting enough sleep? Not only does getting some good ol’ shuteye feel good, but it’s also crucial for your health. Here are some tips to promote a healthier sleep!
- Pay it forward: Nothing feels quite as good as sprinkling random acts of kindness out into the world – be it treating the patron behind you in the drive-through to coffee or cooking up a homemade meal for a neighbor in need. Here are 14 inspirational ways you can pay it forward this year and beyond!
- Focus on how you want to feel: Rather than dwelling on what you want to achieve, try focusing on how you want to feel – whether it’s energized, abundant, or connected. Once you’re clear on that, choose activities and goals that are in alignment with how you want to feel.
- Spend more time in nature: Make it a point to spend more time in nature this year. Get outside to breathe in the fresh air, get grounded and connectwith Mother Earth. From backyard sledding in the winter to visiting a local park come spring, there are plenty of ways to explore the great outdoors!
- Take control of your finances: What better time than the present to finally take control of your finances? Your bank account will thank you — and you’ll feel extremely empowered. Consider using a free budget tracker like Mint to get you started, and learn more about how you can design a self-care routine for your finances here!
- Assess your relationships: This year, take some time to reflect on your relationships. Which relationships fill you up and which drain you? Make more time for the people who lift you up (even if it’s a weekly FaceTime date), and alternatively set healthy boundaries with those who don’t.
- Clear the clutter: Out with the old, in with the new! It’s fair to say most of us would like to put 2020 in the past — and now is the perfect time to clear out any clutter that’s weighing you down. What things can you let go of in order to create room for new beginnings?
What are you doing to focus on yourself in the New Year? Let us know by tagging us on social media @VibrantHealth
DISCLAIMER: This information is not intended as a substitute for advice provided by a competent health care professional. You should not use this information in diagnosing or treating a health problem. No claim or opinion in this blog is intended to be, nor should be construed to be medical advice. If you are now taking any drugs, prescribed or not, or have a medical condition, please consult a competent physician who is aware of herb/drug interactions before taking any herbal supplements. The information presented herein has not been evaluated by the FDA or the Department of Health and is not intended to diagnose, prevent, cure, mitigate or treat any disease or illness.